The town of Davenport was formed in 1817 and is named after an early settler, John Davenport, who also became the first town supervisor. It is located in the northern part of the county. According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 51.9 square miles and a 2010 Census population of 2,774 people. The town includes hamlets of Butts Corners,Davenport, Davenport Center, Fergusonville, Hoseaville, West Davenport, and Pindars Corners.
The Charlotte Turnpike was completed in 1834 having been built by a stock company. Its twenty miles replaced the wagon tracks and spurred on commerce. Salesmen carried new products and ideas to and from the cities to the hinterland.
The hamlet of Davenport grew rapidly after the coming of the turnpike. It had two hotels, one printing office, four dry goods and grocery stores, one hardware store, one jewelry store, three harness shops, one grist mill, one sawmill, three cooper shops, two blacksmiths and two shoe shops.
Davenport Center is on the south side of the Charlotte River at the mouth of the Kortright Creek. The hamlet had three hotels, three grocery stores, one tannery, three sawmills, one shingle mill, one sash and blind factory, two cooper shops, one wagon shop, one blacksmith, one shoe shop, and one furniture manufactory.
In the western part of the town West Davenport is near Otsego County on the north side of the Charlotte River. It had two churches, a hotel, a store, one grist mill, one sawmill, one woolen mill, one plaster mill, one blacksmith shop, one harness shop, and three cooper shops.
For several years the Ulster & Delaware Railroad transported fluid milk and eggs to New York City and returned with tourists who came to notable boarding houses to escape the summer heat of New York City.